Southpark

Home Forums PLACE Forum Southpark

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    John Shields
    Keymaster

From Alan James – 17 June 2020

Some notes on Southpark. It’s especially fortunate that you’ve got these properly recorded, Rachel, half of them now more or less lost under caravans and golf-course, and several of the remainder look from the satellite view to be knocked together into huge grass monocultures. But there are some interesting clues to the history.

All the best

Alan

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    John Shields
    Keymaster

From Alan James – 18 June 2020

Good morning folks!

It’s dawned on me this morning that while working on Southpark, in a senior moment, I forgot that I’d already grappled with Graplin while dealing with the field so-named on neighbouringBrighouse land, and had come up with another, equally tentative, possibility. I attach a revised version of my notes, incorporating both suggestions (and have amended my Brighouse notes using the same text).

Incidentally, anent ‘Hospital Field’ here and at Greenslack (and I recall Mike mentioning Gaelic equivalents), I happened to read yesterday of ‘caeau ysbyty’ in Wales: according to ‘Plant Life’ such fields are ‘herb-rich … full of naturally occurring species that contain higher levels of micro-nutrients, minerals and medicinal ingredients than those found in agriculturally “improved” pasture …. Traditionally, sick … animals would be taken to these fields to recover …’ Being of a sceptical disposition, I take that with a pinch of micro-nutrients, proximity to the farmhouse might have had something to do with it, but it’s an interesting suggestion.

All the best

Alan

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.